71-year-old dies after eating oysters tainted with flesh-eating bacteria

Adjust Comment Print

The 71-year-old died July 10 from a bacterial infection caused by the bacteria Vibrio vulnificus, reports the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

A 71-year-old Florida man has died from bacteria that he got from eating raw oysters, state authorities have said.

The department's website says it is the third fatal case of Vibrio in Florida this year. The county, according to the department, didn't have any cases or deaths in 2017, and three confirmed cases and one death in 2016.

Authorities have so far refused to reveal the man's identity and the name of the restaurant.

Vibrio vulnificus is often mislabeled as flesh-eating bacteria, but it is very important to note that it is not flesh-eating bacteria, despite what numerous news outlets are reporting.

Vibrio vulnificus is sometimes referred to as a "flesh-eating bacteria" but health officials say that label is misleading because it can not attack healthy skin.

Meghan Markle's sister says she'll hold her Responsible if their Father Dies
I don't like the one I'm seeing now. "It really worries me. OK I have something to say: Thomas Markle isn't just mean. I think she's under too much pressure", Thomas continued.

Man Who Groped Waitress Gets Slammed To The Floor
A Georgia server is being hailed by many after video of her fighting back against a customer who allegedly groped her went viral. And the waitress has now made a decision to use her new-found fame to raise money for cat shelters. 'I just did it.

Mystery Egypt sarcophagus found not to house Alexander the Great's remains
Beyond the skeletons, the sarcophagus was inundated with sewage water, which accelerated the decomposition of the skeletons. A 2000-year-old sarcophagus has been opened in Egypt - revealing what appears to be the remains of a family of three.

Through this oyster, he contracted a gastrointestinal illness related to a flesh-eating bacteria on the oyster.

People with the preexisting medical condition have 80 times higher risk for Vibrio vulnificus bloodstream infections compared with healthy people. The Florida Department of Health said if you are infected, you could see these signs.

Because the water is warmer, bacteria become more prevalent.

If you eat raw seafood, such as oysters, which are bottom feeders that filter water you could be at risk.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, vibriosis is caused by certain strains of Vibrio bacteria, which lives in salt water and may be present in raw or undercooked oysters. And, anyone eating shellfish should make sure their food is thoroughly cooked.

Severe illness involving Vibrio vulnificus is rare, but it can require intensive care treatment or limb amputation.

Comments