Canada shooting: Four dead in Fredericton as gunman on the run

Adjust Comment Print

Police in eastern Canada say there have been "multiple fatalities" following a shooting in the city of Fredericton, New Brunswick.

The incident in the capital of the Canadian province New Brunswick is still ongoing.

"Fredericton Police are responding Brookside Drive area. More information will be available when we can confirm".

Fredericton police tweeted about the incident early Friday.

Police continue to on scene of a shooting on Brookside Drive.

UDPATE: At this time we can confirm that we have one suspect in custody.

A BBC map showing the scene of the shooting and the location of Fredericton in Canada

The CBC contacted employees at a nearby Tim Hortons and they said they have locked their doors so customers can't exit or enter.

Fredericton resident Robert DiDiodata said he heard a series of "firecracker" sounds around 7am (8pm AEST).

He says his apartment complex has four buildings in a square, and it sounded like the shots were coming from the middle of the complex.

A worker at a nearby Tim Horton's coffee and doughnut shop revealed staff had locked the doors and are keping customrs insid.

Several police, firefighters and paramedics are at the scene.

Melania Trump's Slovenian parents get US citizenship
The Slovenian immigrants, a former vehicle dealer and textile factory worker, had been living in the U.S. as permanent residents. Asked if the Knavses had obtained citizenship through "chain migration", their lawyer, Michael Wildes, said: "I suppose".

North Korea says US 'throwing cold water' on denuclearisation progress
Washington has said that sanctions will not be lifted until Pyongyang fully and finally dismantles its nuclear weapons. The United States was "attempting to invent a pretext for increased sanctions against the DPRK".

Ben Stokes trial shown ‘groin grab’ video
The 27-year-old all-rounder and two other men, Ryan Ali, 28, and Ryan Hale, 27, all deny the charge and are on bail. Mr Cunningham refused to allow them back inside as it was past closing time, Bristol Crown Court heard.